Saturday, July 12, 2008

European Car Design

Another non-mobile related post, but with the lines so long outside the Apple Store, I can't really write about my new iPhone as I don't have one yet, so lets try something a little different

I was in the UK last week for the first time in nearly 3 years and I noticed a number of significant changes while I was there. Firstly, there were tall white elegant windmills dotted around the countryside and I thought they looked great. Wondering how long before they get across here.

Secondly, the weather. It rained the whole time I was there, but I won't bore you with that, but as my dad put it "How miserable is this?"

The third thing I noticed was the proliferation of small city cars. I'm a bit of car nut myself, but I was shocked at the numbers of these things running around (and having seen the price of petrol over there, it makes a lot of sense). The thing that struck me the most was how wonderfully designed they were. We now have the Smart car over here in the US, and there are a few of them running around, but I particularly liked the Citroen and Peugeot small cars. The C1 and C2 from Citroen are wonderful little things. The C1, the Peugeot 107 and a Toyota were all designed jointly, but its a great looking little car. Big wide mouth, cat looking headlights and very vertical rear on the car. It just looked great, and for the price, looks like a good deal. It makes the new Mini Cooper look very over priced.

Then there was the Renault Modus, the Peugeot 1007 with the sliding doors and my favorite of the lot, the new Fiat 500. What a little gem that is. The interior is a thing of beauty. I would love to see one of those on the road over here.

Its about time the US population realized that big cars are not required all the time and that these small city cars are the answer to the short to medium commute to work, where most people spend their time.

No comments: